Divorce Counseling & Recovery
Divorce Counseling & Recovery in Westlake Village, CA
Are you struggling with your divorce? We all need effective tools to getting through this transition. Are you equipped?
Experiencing a divorce after a long marriage myself, I appreciate how difficult it can be to heal and transition into your new life. What makes my practice so unique and effective is that I’ve developed specific interventions to help get you from your most painful first year, to a time of self-discovery, to ending up with the ability to embrace your life and find joy again.
For most people, there are three distinct stages of divorce recovery. Where you are in your journey will determine the work we do together.
The Three Stages of Divorce Recovery
Beginning Stage (Up to 2 years after divorce/separation began)
This is known as the crisis stage. We will work together to help you:
- Process through your sadness and grief without unnecessary suffering
Replace distressing and anxious thoughts with more reassuring, positive and realistic thoughts
- Shore up a support system
- Begin to make your own meaning of what’s happened
- Challenge old core beliefs to elevate self-worth
- Learn coping skills to get through holidays/anniversaries and other firsts
- Develop healthy boundaries with the ex and your children
- Regain clarity
With therapy, you will go from feeling intense emotional pain and anxiety to feeling hopeful about yourself and your life.
Middle Stage (From 2 – 4 years after divorce began)
This is known as the self-discovery and adjustment stage. We will work together to help you:
- Participate in discovery of self, authenticity
- Build your self-worth through actionable steps toward future
- Begin to process forgiveness of self and ex
- Begin to process toward acceptance and letting go
- Learn to navigate life as single parent, including self-care and life balance
- Explore red flags in marital relationship.
- Work toward healthy future relationships
With therapy you will go from feeling lost and unsure to feeling confident and a sense of direction in your life.
Ever-After Stage (From 4 – 5+ years out)
This is known as the stage of clearing out the residual leftovers that continue to affect your life. We will work together to help you:
- Begin the process to de-identify with your divorce
- Identify leftovers that hold you back from embracing your new life and finding joy again
- Continue to process forgiveness of self and ex
- Connect the dots from your past to your present in your life
- Achieve full acceptance and letting go
- Find the hidden blessings
- Arrive at healthy mindset
With therapy, you will go from feeling stuck to feeling emotional peace, and a joy-filled life.
Improve Your Physical & Spiritual Well-Being After Divorce
During your divorce, you may experience sleepless nights, lose the ability to eat, and feel a steady level of anxiety throughout the day. These things can create a tremendous strain on your physical health.
It’s important to find healthy outlets for your stress and to take good care of yourself. Let’s get you mindful of scheduling exercise, eating a healthy diet, and managing your anxiety to improve your overall physical and mental well-being.
Spiritual well-being is essential to your recovery from divorce. You can draw strength and comfort when you reconnect with your source or higher power. For some people, they have a close relationship with God; for others, it might be the connection they feel when out in nature.
Whatever it is for you, you can gain a healthier perspective on your life and feel calmer and reassured.
Join a variety of Divorce Recovery Workshops and Groups
These workshops and groups were designed to help you significantly improve your mental, emotional, spiritual and physical well-being. Read more…
Women’s Divorce Support Group – Westlake Village
Join our healing community and experience support and friendship with others who understand. Read more…